Justin T. Shay
- Litigation and Appeals
- Bankruptcy & Reorganization
- Health Care
- Employment Law
- Real Estate
Justin is a partner and Chairperson of the Firm’s Litigation practice area. Justin has been practicing law in Rhode Island for nearly 40 years. He has extensive experience practicing before all Rhode Island state and federal courts, including appellate tribunals and administrative boards. Justin’s clients include: general business organizations, banking and financial institutions, real estate title companies, insurance companies, and various health care providers, including health care institutions and physicians.
Over the years, Justin has amassed an impressive litigation and appellate record, particularly in the areas of business, insolvency, and real estate title litigation, with over 50 decisions on record. Justin has been engaged as an expert in real estate litigation matters by the State of Rhode Island and leading Rhode Island law firms and his qualification has been confirmed by the Rhode Island Supreme Court. Justin serves as a court-appointed receiver and commissioner for the sale of real estate. For the past 20 years, Justin has overseen and coordinated nationally, the defense of a client in mass toxic tort litigation. He is also a former Assistant Solicitor for the Town of North Kingstown.
Justin is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell and has been elected to the Best Lawyers in America for real estate litigation.
Justin has been named a New England Super Lawyer in business litigation and has been cited for Professional Excellence in the Law by Rhode Island Monthly magazine. Justin is the 2011 recipient of the Rhode Island Bar Association’s Joseph E. Houlihan Lifetime Mentor Award. In 2021, Justin was elected a Fellow of the Rhode Island Bar Foundation.
Justin has presented 25 seminars and lectures on legal topics of interest to members of the Rhode Island Bar, Real Estate Professionals and land surveyors.
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence – 1982
- Law Review: Member, New York Law Review, 1981 – 1982
- Providence College, Rhode Island
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts – 1978
- Best Lawyers in America, 2022, 2023, 2024
- Rhode Island Bar Association’s Joseph E. Houlihan Lifetime Mentor Award for 2011
- Rhode Island and New England Super Lawyer, 2010 – Present
- Rhode Island Monthly, Top Attorneys in Rhode Island, 2010 – Present
- Martindale Hubbell Rated AV Preeminent in Commercial Law and Litigation, 2017 - Present
- Fellow of the Rhode Island Bar Foundation, 2021
- Rhode Island Monthly, Professional Excellence in the Law, 2023
- United States Supreme Court, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1983
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island, 1983
- Rhode Island, 1982
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Sections of Litigation, Real Estate Litigation Committee
- Defense Research Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
Classes & Seminars
- Delivered numerous lectures and prepared publications on Rhode Island real estate law for the Rhode Island Bar Association and numerous professional, continuing education providers
Pro Bono Activities
- Board Member, Saint Thomas More Society of Rhode Island
- Secretary, Board of Governors, The Hope Club
- United States District Court, Local Rules Review Committee